Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What to Wear Wednesday: Purse Splurge

This week Kristle has a question about one of my very favorite things: purses.

"I need some help with a decision. I need a new purse and I love this one:


You think it is too much? I usually buy $50 purses. It will be my daily purse. I have seen it in stores so it is a good size and black works with all."
Let me start off here by saying that my first thought when I saw a picture of this lovely bag was, "I want to take this behind a middle school and get it pregnant." Holy mother of accessories! We have a winner!
It's such a stereotype of the Typical Woman, isn't it? We're just mad for bags and shoes and we'll take out a second mortgage to finance these addictions, right? No. Most of us are reasonable and will not sell organs in the name of a pretty bag.
That said, I say go for it. You are planning to get this bag on eBay for a relative steal. You have seen it in person, liked it, and knew it was your style. You don't own upwards of 10 bags (unlike someone who shall remain CKD) and would like to upgrade your accessory wardrobe. You plan to use it daily, which would break down the cost-per-use to mere pennies, really.
I know that purchasing a purse for roughly double what you would normally pay sounds insane. You have a functional day-to-day bag, there's not an urgent "need" for this, and who the hell is spluring on things like this NOW? THE ECONOMY IS IN SHAMBLES! QUICK, PUT THE MONEY UNDER THE MATTRESS!!!! But hear me out: if you have budgeted for such a purchase, and are maybe willing to sacrifice some other fun things that may pop up for a bit, there's no harm really. This is generally a good way to roll, regardless of the economic climate or threat of layoffs. If this will not make-or-break your ability to eat or pay bills you shouldn't feel awful. Another way to make sure you won't regret a big impulse buy is to sleep on it; if you are still thinking about the item the next day, you know it wasn't temporary insanity. If waiting isn't an option, keep the tags, keep the receipt and know the return policy BEFORE you hand over your money.
And I can totally borrow this bag when I come visit right?
UPDATE: Kristle bid on the purse and won it! All is happy in Accessory Land. PS: I had a lot of sake tonight.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The purse has your name on it! ;)

nichole said...

I am totally getting my 1st designer purse for my b day. I can't wait to see it. I will send you a pic when I get it!

Southern Helle said...

Buy it now and don't look back! No, seriously... right now!

Unknown said...

Done and done!