Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What to Wear Wednesday: Not-So-Shiny But Still Happy People

This week's question comes from Miz Literature:

"I have a problem with 'shine.' Do you know of any products that will help me keep a matte look all day?"

Dear Miz Lit,

Without a little more info on your current product usage, I'm going to start from the basics and work our way up. This might be a case of "less is more" as opposed to adding layers to your gorgeous face.

Shine is usually a problem for the oily or combination skinned people of the world, but you should still be using a moisturizer every day. Use an oil-free one (Neutrogena has fantastic options, and it's easy to get one with basic SPF protection) to keep your skin balanced and avoid extra shine.

In terms of make-up, there are several options. I wouldn't do ALL of these things at once, but some experimenting might be in order to find the right solution.

I like the Smashbox Photo Finish primer before applying anything to my face. It mattifies (Is that a word? We'll say it is.) before you put on your make-up and is clear, so no need to spend hours matching colors. Who has that kind of time? It works well under foundation, powder, whatever...and helps your make-up stay put so you don't need to reapply throughout the day.

If you like foundation, I am a big fan of mineral make-up. Two excellent brands to try: Bare Escentuals (sort of the Big Name in mineral make-up) and Jane Iredale (my current love). Both offer excellent coverage without creating a "mask" effect. Bonus: you don't really need to do the foundation/powder combo. Since I am the laziest person on the planet, I am all about eliminating steps so that I can move on to my favorite morning activity: getting some coffee. Anyway, this stuff stays on all day (even during Chico summers when it's 145 degrees) and keeps the shine at bay.

Not feeling the mineral foundation? Sue Devitt makes a wonderful liquid foundation that goes on like buttah.

Not really into foundation? This brings us to...

Dr. Feelgood. I. Love. This. Stuff.

I have singled it out as a favorite thing and I pretty much always have it on me. Works beautifully alone, under foundation or as shine control hours after you first applied your make-up. No need to match colors and you can apply it while driving to work (not that I have EVER done that) because there's really no precision involved. If you go for the Sue Devitt foundation and find you are still a little shiny, this is the perfect thing to layer over it for a quick touch-up.

Have fun playing around at the various make-up counters and best of luck in your quest to let your adorable personality be the only shiny thing about you!

No comments: