Sunday, September 14, 2008

She's Crafty

It's well-known that I am...how you say? Ah, yes, lacking in the domestic arts department. I can't cook to save my life, although I am a fabulous baker, and I haven't made a present for anyone since the second grade. But lately I've been inspired by mom and stepmom. My mom made her own clothes in high school as well as several kick-ass Halloween costumes for me. She also crochets, cross-stitches and has taken up quilting. Judy made her own wedding dress (and it's gorgeous) and has outfitted me with quite the winter accessory collection. The orange knit hat I wear in the winter? Yeah, she whipped that up in the hospital just before her c-section.

With nothing else to do today, I accompanied my mom to a local quilting store since she's gearing up to make one for me finally. (She has already made one for Evan - her ex-husband's kid - but I had to wait my turn.) Here's the thing: as lame as I am in this area, I love the process of shopping for the goods and helping my mom pick out the various pieces. I saw a pattern for an apron and mentioned I thought it would be fun to learn to sew so I could make things for myself. People, I don't think I've ever seen my mom so excited. We ran around the store looking at different materials, found a "simple" pattern and now my mom is going to teach me how to sew. An apron for me to wear, in an unironic way. For reals. We figured this is easy enough since it's just a few pieces and straight lines. Since I rarely walk in a straight line, I don't know how this will turn out, but I've got an expert guiding me.

We grabbed two complementary patterns that are adorable and have a vintage-but-not-old-lady-feel, and set out to find some thread. After holding up two possibilities, I pointed to one and said, "This one. It bridges the two patterns better than the other." My mom looked at me like I just told her I was giving her grandchildren and said, "Very good! You really are my daughter." Apparently the sarcastic wit and flat feet weren't enough of an indication for her.

If this goes well, expect me to wear this thing all over town because I am that obnoxious.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You continue to crack me up and I love reading up on your life. KEEP WRITING!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.