Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Back by Popular Demand

Alternate Titles for this post:

-My Favorite Things 2: Electric Booglaoo (The "Electric Boogaloo" thing will never get old for me in case you were wondering.)
-For the Love of God, You Spend How Much on This Shit?

Alrighty then! Let's do this!

Curl Conscious Creme: My hair is naturally curly, but I spent my adolescence in front of the mirror, round brush and hair dryer in hand, trying to will it into submission. Free from the shackles of my own stupidity, I am embracing the curl and sleeping in. Ah, sweet freedom! But to keep myself out of Carrot Top territory, I get a little help from the good people at Bumble+bumble. I have tried about five different products from various lines and I think I'm in love. Ready to put down the flat iron? Get yourself some of this stuff and prepare to be complimented. They make two types since we all know there are sub-catergories within the curl genre. Duh. Bonus: there's no crunchy-curly hair side effect and no need to blow dry if you're running late.

Never a Dull Moment: The name of this face scrub could describe me. Will she spill water down the front of her top in public? Maybe trip in front of a bunch of construction workers? Or fall asleep at 9pm while watching 90210? Yes, yes, and YES. Unlike other abrasive scrubs, this won't irritate your skin and it even smells nice. Thanks, Origins, for making something for the sensitive skin people of the world. Everyone deserves to exfoliate.




Eye Doctor: I am obsessed with wrinkles, but the idea of Botox or whatever makes me ill. So, I'm going the pre-emptive strike route and have been using eye cream since I was 20. I've tried a few but my favorite so far has been Eye Doctor by Origins. It's on the pricey side, but I like the way it feels and it wears nicely under make-up. I also like the fact that Origins places high importance on recycling, organic goods and sustainable practices. For some reason this enables me to justify the cost. Roll with it.


Dr. Feelgood: This is the kind of thing that makes my father crazy. When asked, "What is that?" I reply, "It's make-up, but you don't look like you're wearing make-up." This makes my dad shake his head, pray that Evan turns out normal and sigh, "THEN DON'T WEAR ANY MAKE-UP! Save yourself some money, too." Oh, Dad, your logic is wasted here. I am BeneFit's bitch: cute packaging and a clever name? I'll take two. This is great for a quick touch-up if you're a little shiny or want to quickly even out your skin tone. Supposedly you can also wear it as a base under foundation, but I've never tried that. If you do, let me know how it works out.

Smashbox Photo Finish: Another shout-out to Elisabeth for introducing me to this wonderful creation. As she put it, "Your face feels like cashmere!" You know what? It does. This is basically primer for your face; put it on before your foundation and the rest of your make-up will go on like velvet.



Coffee: Yes, this is technically a "drug" rather than a product, but the people who had to deal with me that one Lent where I gave up caffeine can attest that I need this. Regular coffee, fancy lattes and cafe au laits, over ice...Mama loves it all. I don't drink it constantly throughout the day, but there's something about my morning routine that requires a cup of coffee. Lately I've been making my own at home, but every once in awhile I treat myself to a soy latte from Cal Java, a local, family owned coffee roaster. And yes, I bring my own travel mug so as to cut down on waste. Calm down, Hippie.

Get shopping so we can be twinsies who smell and look pretty...but have nothing saved for retirement. We'll be the best lookin' ones in the poor house. Isn't that what really matters?

4 comments:

Mo said...

"Calm down Hippie"

That one line will get me through the day today!

CKD said...

The irony? I am working on several sustainability and energy projects. Basically a professional hippie.

AlexJB said...

are you honestly saying that this b+b product is as good as a flat iron? i'm scared. and intrigued...

CKD said...

Well, it has the OPPOSITE effect of a flat iron, so it brings out the curl...but it's awesome stuff. You know, embracing what I've got and all that.

B+b makes an excellent straightening serum, too, which helps the flat iron do its job more efficiently.