Tuesday, November 4, 2008

After Today You Won't Have to Read About the Election, OK?


So, I received a few emails from friends asking about the "Election Day Pie Tradition" in our family, and was kind of shocked to discover so many of you thought we threw pies at each other or something. I can kind of see how you might think Dave would be into that, but my mom? No. Francine "Please Use a Coaster" Carreira would not be down with pie throwing within a five mile radius of herself or her home.

The family pie tradition dates back to when I was a kid living in Fremont, and our polling place* was around the corner from a Marie Callender's, which was the pie place of choice in our family. Oh man, I could write an entire post about getting pies from there with my grandpa, and how he NEVER forgot to bring back the pie tin so we could save $.10 or whatever. That guy loved a good bargain...

Oh, sorry, back to the pie. Anyway, the local Marie Callender's gave out "free slice of pie" coupons at our polling place: you just had to present your little voting receipt or whatever. Pretty sweet deal: participate in the democratic process, eat some food. Very American, really. And very true to my family's nature. If there's anything that defines us, it's eating and then feeling superior to others.

*Did I mention the polling place in question was a FIRE STATION? With real live FIREFIGHTERS? Voting has never felt like a chore to this girl.

2 comments:

BandonRandon said...

Well i did get a really cool "I voted sticker" It was quite depressing at the lack of hot individuals at my voting place. That and the fact that i felt like I was taking a really hard test. Oh well at least i did my part :)

CKD said...

I now vote at a Masonic Center, so my expectations for hottie sightings are pretty low (read: non-existent) these days. Still, you voted and got a sticker and I'm so proud of my baby cousin for participating and caring and generally growing into an awesome person! Yay!

Dude, you know we can't tell Uncle Tim who we vote for, right?