Monday, November 17, 2008

Spotlight On: Karma vs Dogma, Mighty Girl and Oh Happy Day

You might wonder what's up with my reading list over there on the right side of the page. Much like me, it's a wondrous mix of wit, humor, charm and style. No? Not really? OK. Maybe this is a cop-out to devote posts to other sites but whatever. Mama's tired kids. Cut her some slack.

I've decided to start giving the blogs their due notice and attention in case you haven't bothered to check them out yourselves. Lazy bastards.

My Karma Ran Over Your Dogma is co-written by Roadtripper8 and Bad Wolf. I have yet to have the pleasure of meeting Bad Wolf in person, but hope we will get together soon and share a pint and make each other LOL in person. Roadtripper and I? Well, we have a fascinating "How do you two know each other?" story. Basically, it involves why I moved back to California in June. Want more details? Buy the book. Anyway, you might be wondering how on Earth could I be on speaking terms - let alone shout-out terms - with this woman. Well, that's our business, but the short answer is she's a damn cool broad and a pretty sweet writer to boot. One of the things I love best is how both writers don't take themselves or their site too seriously. This is not to say they half-ass it, but they aren't afraid to out themselves as geeks or make goofy pop culture references. I rarely read a post without laughing, so do yourself a favor and check it out if you dig funny.

Mighty Girl is the work of San Francisco's Maggie Mason. I stumbled upon her blog while reading Dooce and was instantly taken with her style and the tone of her writing. Speaking of style, her other sites - Mighty Goods, Mighty Haus and Mighty Junior - are amazing if you ever need to buy anything for any person for any occasion (or no occasion at all). Seriously. Love shopping? You'll enjoy the wide variety of goods offered without worrying about closing times or lugging bags all over a mall. Hate shopping? You'll love that you can narrow searches by occasion, recipient and/or price to narrow it down so you can get in and out. Bonus: Many of the options offered are actually affordable for people in real life (read: those of us who are freaking out as we see our 401k's take a hit) and available at both brick and mortar stores as well as online. One of her most recent posts about 10 Little Luxuries Under $10 led me to my bitchin' new red lipstick, so hey...I'm a fan for life.

Oh Happy Day is also written by a San Francisco-dweller by the name of Jordan Ferney. Her about me reads, "I like good weather and pretty things." I can get on board with that. A former Anthropolgie employee, her style is not trendy, but brings out the best in vintage, classic design but not in a costume-y way. Her site provides great inspiration for interesting pieces for home, wardobe, and entertaining. Fluffy stuff, yes, but don't we need that once in awhile? It also inspires me to put down the Van Halen 1980 Invasion shirt and strive for Pretty Lady status.

So there you have it. Three of the sites I check out on a regular basis and think highly enough of them to share with you. Nothing but the best for you, Interweb.

1 comment:

Leather Peacock said...

Thanks for the shout out! Love your site as well and also cant wait to meet in person.