Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Kim! aka "You BLEW It!"

Oh Kim, you didn't think a little thing like a Thanksgiving food coma would make me forget your birthday, did you? No, no, no, Sweets. You cannot escape the humiliation. I hope you go to the Olive Garden and a group of servers serenades you because it is actually your birthday.

Kim and I met as freshman at the Puge, and lived two rooms away from each other. She was really quiet and studious, and it took awhile for us to truly bond (I believe there was mac and cheese involved) and discover that beneath that shy exterior lurked an 80's music-lovin' dancing MACHINE. If you ever have the chance to dance with Kim, do it. She takes her booty shakin' seriously, but will crack you up.

Kim loves Billy Ocean. She was making a mix tape one night (yes, I said TAPE, shut up) and upon learning someone had some Billy Ocean she could use SQUEALED and jumped up like a damn cheerleader. It was awesome.

Kim is easily embarrassed. Pretty much any time we left the house she'd swear that was the last time she would be seen in public with any one of our group of friends. Our favorite way to torture her was to tell the waitstaff at a restaurant that it was her birthday, and have them surround her while singing. She acted all horrified but secretly loved the free dessert.

Kim is one of the most direct people you will ever meet, but in the best way possible. She will tell you if your ass looks fat in those pants, but you'll thank her for it. She gives stright-up advice because she has zero patience for any crap. Which is fantastic.

Kim will sit with you while you hash out every detail of every date, love-life drama, whatever and will ask questions and offer hilarious commentary of her own while throwing in quotes from Adam Sandler movies.

Kim lives too damn far away. OK, Portland isn't so bad, considering the years she was all the way out in Japan, but I would do a cartwheel if she and her husband Justin moved to California.

Kim was our designated driver/handler for much of college and I credit her with keeping our drunken, rowdy little crew safe. And for helping me find various articles of clothing from time to time.

Kimmer, I love you and miss you! This year we've been able to see each other far more than in past years and I hope we can keep that going in 2009.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the b-day shout out. I love you homes! I do have to correct you on one fact. I did not scream over Billy Ocean - although I'm sure he was on the mix tape, because how can you not like Billy Ocean? I screamed over Huey Lewis and the News . . . sad but true. And for bonus points, who had that tape?

CKD said...

Oh crap! I thought it was Billy. Nathan Guy had the tape, right???

Love you always, Homes!

Unknown said...

That is correct! The next category is: Business Ethics. :)

CKD said...

Actually, I'd like to choose from the catergory "Burning Dog Poo and the Human Response."